Re: What's a good PostgreSQL guide book?

From: korry <korry(at)starband(dot)net>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)cbbrowne(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What's a good PostgreSQL guide book?
Date: 2003-03-31 20:43:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>The thing that's "wrong" with any of the books that are available is
>that they have considerable portions about the whole variety of
>language "bindings" (e.g. - Perl, Python, C, C++, ...) which bulk up
>the book when it's really only likely that you'd need a reference on
>one or two of the languages.
>
>I would have loved to see twice or three times as much in the NR book
>on performance tuning, and at least twice as much discussion about the
>implications of MVCC.

Christopher, of all the topics that we covered, I enjoyed writing the
performance chapter the most. In my daytime job, I work on languages and
development tools and a lot of what I do is performance and tuning work.

I'd love to hear suggestions on what you would like to see in the second
edition. I've been trying to talk some of the publishers into letting us
do an "Advanced PostgreSQL Performance Tuning" book. Not much luck yet -
if our first book does really well, I think we'll be able to get the
publishers a bit more interested in that sort of thing.

The language bindings chapters did get a bit tedious to write, but it was
fun to work on the PL/pgSQL and ecpg chapters - it's been difficult to find
good information on either of those (until now).

I hope you enjoy the rest of the book.

-- Korry