Devel / Release on same pc / Mark's ZIP of Designer code

From: "Tim Finch, FosterFinch Ltd" <tim(at)fosterfinch(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Devel / Release on same pc / Mark's ZIP of Designer code
Date: 2002-03-06 22:02:46
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

>Compatibility. With pgAdmin I, by far the most common faq was answered with
>'install MDAC 2.6 or higher'. I don't remember getting that question at all
>since we released pgAdmin II.

Yup. However I noticed when running 1.3.25 devel (or whatever it curerntly
is) I had to install MDAC2.7 in order to get ADO 2.7 Ext for DDL and
Security (Migration vbp). Fortunately I had already downloaded it a few
weeks back but had not got round to installing it!

> > 2. I tried running pgAdmin from VB and it stops on
> > frmMain.svr.DeferConnection = True
> > saying Defer connection is not a member of this svr object (which I
> > sussed whas a ref to pgSchema).checking references it is pointing to
> > the pgschema.dll thats in the 1.2.0 release build in my program
> > files\pgadmin directory. I have downloaded the cvs tree (from 2 days
> > back) into a separate place.
> > I downloaded the vbp of pgschema I downloaded this AM and I cant find
> > the deferconnection member in the latest pgschema. I pointed the
> > refernces at a download of the binaries download of pgSchema and it
> > says error 430:class does not support expected interface. Should I be
> > doing a buildall before ever trying to run the code I download?
>
>I wrote a guide for this last night - it's in
>pgadmin2/help/html/developerinfo/devenv.html. Basically you can develop and
>run a release version on the same box. You're right though, uninstall the
>installed version, then run BuildAll.bat.

Ta. Sort of guessed there are troubles between a devel and a release
version on same PC. I will follow this guidance. I did a buildall anyway,
which helped, but I dont get many addins in the menu, so I will remove
devel and do build all to see if much changes.

I also got Mark's zip file installed and have started to tour round it a
bit. Slowly getting up to speed on the basic layout of all code and object
model. Well done with pgSchema, I can see how this is making life
considerably easier.

Has anyone else put on Mark's code yet to see where its up to? (other than
Mark himself of course!)

Tim Finch,
FosterFinch Ltd
http://www.fosterfinch.co.uk