Graphical ER Editor / Graphical Query Editor : First stages?

From: "Tim Finch, FosterFinch Ltd" <tim(at)fosterfinch(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Graphical ER Editor / Graphical Query Editor : First stages?
Date: 2002-02-27 10:20:23
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgadmin-support

Mark & Others,

Tim again. My thinking about the graphical facilities under discussion here
to do with pgAdmin could start with making an ActiveX control that displays
a table graphic, a la the Access graphical editor.

The control would potentially take something like a reference to a table
from pgSchema?? (I've not looked at pgSchema in any detail yet) and render
the table's fields in a box, showing which are PK, which have constraints,
indexes, foreign keys etc. using mixture of colour, bold, italic etc.

This control can then be used in numerous other places, like in a QBE
editor, a Relational Schema screen and no doubt other places (like the
create table dialogue boxes, as a table is being created...?)

This work would also give a clear goal post of completion - once its
written its usable, and if any of us have to drop out of the race we leave
behind something of worth.

Tim.