Re: Bad news for Open Source databases, acording to survey

From: Ryan Mahoney <ryan(at)paymentalliance(dot)net>
To: GH <grasshacker(at)over-yonder(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bad news for Open Source databases, acording to survey
Date: 2001-07-07 10:45:19
Lists: pgsql-general

This article appears to be a pretty weak opinion piece - the author has
little understanding of PostgreSQL and the support infrastructure that
exists. The article makes numerous references to mysql which is clearly
the low end of the Open Source database market.

Postgres is very close to where it needs to be to compete head to head with
Oracle, db2, and MSSQL server. As a web application data server our
experiences have been wonderful. We have deployed postgresql on production
servers and will be replacing Oracle on one of the leading B2B marketplaces
in the floral industry.

That being said, the vacuum improvements, recovery, and replication
features are sorely needed and disqualify postgresql from being considered
in many scenarios. It may be possible for postgresql to meet these
requirements, but would be less expensive to deploy Oracle (In terms of
development time, testing, and risk management).

We have found that corporations are very interested in open source
databases, although they don't always realize it ;) - It takes some
education. Where postgresql development has come a long way and is very
successful, we all need evangelize and educate the market to ensure it's
place in the industry today and in the future.

-Ryan Mahoney
CTO Payment Alliance, Inc.

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/plain 166 bytes