Re: Large database help

From: xbdelacour(at)yahoo(dot)com
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Large database help
Date: 2001-04-24 00:32:40
Lists: pgsql-admin
By my reading, the machine is definitely swapping, and not writing to a log
file (unless its writing obscene amounts of data to the log, which
presumably the default settings won't do).

postmaster -i -D /home/mg/pgsql -B 100

produces almost identical results in terms of performance and disk
activity. top shows that each child only has 2.2MB shared instead of 12MB.

What other program/means do I have to tell if the machine is swapping? Can
I get a reading as to the amount of data that is actually in physical
memory within a process?

-Xavier