Re: Globally Unique IDs?

From: Soma Interesting <dfunct(at)telus(dot)net>
To: "Rose, Keith" <keithr(at)aiinet(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Globally Unique IDs?
Date: 2001-03-30 19:06:15
Lists: pgsql-general
At 01:42 PM 3/30/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>I am new to the mailing list, but not new to postgres.  I did search through
>the mail-list archives, and didn't find an answer to this question.  Oracle
>has a concept of a "globally unique ID" which can be gotten from their
>function call SYS_GUID().  Is there any plan to implement this (or something
>analogous) in a future version of Postgres?

I'm far from an expert with Postgresql, but I was just thinking the other
day that you could probably use a single "sequence" in postgres for a
number of tables to make sure id's are unique across multiple tables.

If your not familiar with sequences, see here:
http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/user/datatype.html#DATATYPE-SERIAL