serialized objects and JDBC driver

From: Stuart Barlow <sbarlow(at)peopledoc(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: serialized objects and JDBC driver
Date: 2001-03-13 14:52:08
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I am attempting to serialize objects into Postgresql using the
JDBC driver. I am attempting to do this the standard way
using Object and Byte streams.

To store the object to the database in a text (blob) field I use the
following code to turn my object into a byte[].

// create the serialized object and store in the database
EncryptionInfo serObj = new EncryptionInfo(32, 32);
ByteArrayOutputStream bos = new ByteArrayOutputStream();
ObjectOutputStream p = new ObjectOutputStream(bos);
p.writeObject(serObj);
p.flush();
byte[] data = bos.toByteArray();

This seems to go into the database with no errors.
However when I retieeve the data using the following code...

ByteArrayInputStream bis = new ByteArrayInputStream(data);
ObjectInputStream p = new ObjectInputStream(bis);
EncryptionInfo ei = (EncryptionInfo)p.readObject();

I get the following error...
InputStream does not contain a serialized object

Thanks.
Stuart Barlow.

Information in this email is confidential and may be privileged. It is
intended for the named addressee(s) only. If you have received it in
error please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your
system. You should not otherwise copy, retransmit, use or disclose its
contents to anyone.