Re: DB crash on "drop table" interruption

From: Stanislas Pinte <stan(dot)pinte(at)wanadoo(dot)be>
To: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DB crash on "drop table" interruption
Date: 2001-02-01 09:11:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

At 08:28 AM 2/1/01 +0900, you wrote:
>Stanislas Pinte wrote:
> >
> > hello,
> >
> > I just had a DB crash when interrupting manually a drop table operation,
> > and when interrupting manually (using kill) a vacuumdb operation. Is it
> > normal, or is it a bug?
> >

>What does the DB crash mean ?

The DB crash doesn not mean a backend crash. It means the lost of 80% of
the tables of the database.

here is the scenario:

1: I initiated a "drop table mytable" operation.
2: It started to took 15 minutes, then I decided that laybe users were
using this table
3: I killed the postgresql process.
4: I opened pgsql
5: I listed the tables ..."mytable" still there
6: I issue a drop table again, after having restarted the backend (not
properly...a "kill" then a "postmaster start ")
7: the drop table doesn't work, even if the table "mytable" still appears.
8: I issue a "vacuumdb"...take hours, and stays blocked on my problematic table
9: I re-killed the back-end.
10: I started the DB: only four tables left...mytable and a lot of others
have disappeared.

>Regards,
>Hiroshi Inoue

Stanislas Pinte