Re: very large db performance question

From: LIANHE SHAO <lshao2(at)jhmi(dot)edu>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: very large db performance question
Date: 2003-11-26 22:46:24
Lists: pgsql-performance

Thanks for reply. Actually our database only supply
some scientists to use (we predict that). so there
is no workload problem. there is only very
infrequent updates. the query is not complex. the
problem is, we have one table that store most of the
data ( with 200 million rows). In this table, there
is a text column which we need to do full text
search for each row. The result will then join the
data from another table which has 30,000 rows. Now
the query runs almost forever.

I tried a small table with 2 million rows using the
following simple command, it takes me about 6
seconds to get the result back. So, I get confused.
That is why I ask: Is it the hardware problem or
something else. (I just vacuumed the whole database
yesterday).

PGA=> select count (*) from expressiondata ;
count
---------
2197497
(1 row)

PGA=> explain select count (*) from expressiondata ;
QUERY PLAN
Aggregate (cost=46731.71..46731.71 rows=1 width=0)
-> Seq Scan on expressiondata
(cost=0.00..41237.97 rows=2197497 width=0)
(2 rows)

Regards,
William