Server format and recovery

From: Márcio Aguiar Ribeiro <aguiar(dot)marcio(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Server format and recovery
Date: 2008-04-25 01:17:22
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hello all,

I just spent 4 days trying to recover a postgres database from a
server disaster without success.

A "buggy" file just erased all the HD of the server. We were able to
recover almost all files, so I re-installed Ubuntu and Postgres 8.2.

After that, I thought I would be able to just copy my PGDATA folder
from the recovered files to the server and then run the postgres
server, but my pg_control file was not valid. So I executed
pg_resetxlog . When I attempted to run the server again I received the
following error:

"FATAL:  database files are incompatible with server
The database cluster was initialized with MAXALIGN 0, but the server
waas compiled with MAXALIGN 4." (translated from my language to
english by me)

Since this, I already tried several ways to recover the data. I
started a new DB with initdb and copied the base/ and global/ data to
the PGDATA, but there's no use.
I'm able to psql my database, but when try a "select * from pg_tables"
i receive:

"ERROR:  unexpected chunk size 1986 in chunk 0 for toast value 10319"

In other attempts I also received:

"array size exceeds the maximum allowed"

I out of ideas right now, so I'm asking your help.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

--
Marcio Aguiar Ribeiro

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Shane AmblerDate: 2008-04-25 14:03:45