Re: Major features for 9.1

From: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Major features for 9.1
Date: 2011-04-04 15:13:37
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Kevin Grittner wrote:

>> * wCTE: Writeable Common Table Expressions
>> Reason: replace large amounts of app code with single queries.
>> Also, we may be the first DB to have this.  Anyone know?
>
> This is very cool, but I don't know how many people know enough
> about CTEs to be impressed.

But those of us who do, are *itching* to use them in production applications
instead of having to pull everything into application code (or pl/*
functions) just to push into another query ;-)

>> * SQL/MED with FILE_FDW
>> Reason: allows using PostgreSQL to query any kind of data source
>> you can roll a driver for.  First one shipping reads CSV files,
>> eliminating the need to COPY them into the database in many cases.
>
> I have no idea how big the audience is for this one.

I *hope* this will really grow though, through adoption of extensions, and
PGXN...

Man 9.1 is packed with good stuff ;-)

a.