Re: Best way to test/develop lots of nested functions?

From: Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Leon Starr <leon_starr(at)modelint(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best way to test/develop lots of nested functions?
Date: 2010-08-06 13:57:22
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 09:21:00PM -0700, Leon Starr wrote:
> So I've got numerous plpgsql functions I have developed and have been
> testing using psql.  I was doing fine when I was testing the one by one, but
> now I need to load multiple functions at a time.  Doing \i
> longFunctionName.sql for several functions is a bit tedious.
>
> Any advice about how best to proceed?  Is there an easy way to quickly load
> a batch of functions into psql?  Is there a better way than using psql?  All
> ideas welcome.  Thanks!

If you've got a bunch of functions in files you can create another file to
load them. For instance, given files function1.sql, function2.sql, etc., you
can create another file (which I'll call load_stuff.sql) that looks like this:

\i function1.sql
\i function2.sql
(and so on)

...and in psql, "\i load_stuff.sql".