Re: Weird trouble with select

From: Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: erobles <erobles(at)sensacd(dot)com(dot)mx>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Weird trouble with select
Date: 2010-06-29 13:59:02
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 08:44:35AM -0500, erobles wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have 3 pc's:
> pc 'A' with postgres 7.2 running
> pc 'B' and 'C' connected to 'A'

You should upgrade as quickly as possible. 7.2 is ancient. Even 8.1 will hit
end-of-life soon.

> if i made the next query on 'B' or 'C' : "select * from detail with
> id=72"; takes too long time to return the data, near of 10 minutes
> more or less.
> if i made the next query on 'B' or 'C' : "select * from detail with
> id=71", or whatever value in id , the data are returned immediatly.
>
> if i made the next query on 'A' (postgres server): "select * from
> detail with id=72", the data are returned immediatly.

I wonder if you're just hitting caching effects, and the different client
hosts are confusing the issue. If you issue the query from one machine
multiple times, does it reliably take forever the first time, and go quickly
afterward?

--
Joshua Tolley / eggyknap
End Point Corporation