problems with currval and rollback

From: Assad Jarrahian <jarraa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: problems with currval and rollback
Date: 2005-12-23 01:37:49
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi all,
So I started to make some changes with my jdbc code here and there
(nothing to do with the relevant lines) and suddenly currval and
rollback don't work.

try{
db.setAutoCommit(false);
addLM.setInt(1, lm.getOrigin());
addLM.executeUpdate();
sql = db.createStatement();
ResultSet result = sql.executeQuery("SELECT
currval('lm_id_seq');");
if (result. next()){
db.commit();
db.setAutoCommit(true);
else{
db.rollback(); //reverse all changes
db.setAutoCommit(true);
}
catch(SQLException ex){
try {
db.rollback();
db.setAutoCommit(true);
} catch (SQLException e) {
throw e;
}
throw ex;
}

What happens is that the it inserts a db, but cannot get a value back
using currval (ERROR: ERROR: currval of sequence "lm_id_seq" is not
yet defined in this session 55000 ) , yet the db gets the addlm
inserted. It should rollback, but it does not. What gives?

I ran the insert-currval combo from psql and it worked.
What gives?

Any help would be appreciated.

-assad