Re: Vacuum running out of memory

From: Jonathan Foy <thefoy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Vacuum running out of memory
Date: 2009-12-08 16:31:04
Lists: pgsql-performance

I was wondering if that was the problem. So I'm correct in thinking that
the failure occurred when the vacuum tried to pull its 256 MB as defined in
the maintenance_work_mem value, and the system just did not have enough
available...any idea why that would suddenly start happening? The indexes I
created shouldn't have affected that, should they?

And point taken with the update. I'm pushing to get us to 8.4,
unsuccessfully so far, but management might be more amenable to minor
version upgrades, since as I understand it there shouldn't be any risk of
application problems with minor version changes...