Re: Listening on more than one port?

From: "Michael Nolan" <htfoot(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, "Michael Nolan" <htfoot(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Listening on more than one port?
Date: 2006-08-30 21:33:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On 8/30/06, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 02:42:58PM -0500, Michael Nolan wrote:
> > I need to be able to have postmaster (8.1.2) listen on more than one
> port,
> > eg, 5432 and some other port, such as 5431.
>
> Why?

Situation in a nutshell:

Production and test databases are on two separate systems inside the
firewall. The web server is at an ISP, outside the firewall.

The firewall sends all data coming from the ISP, port 5432 to a specific IP
address inside the firewall: port 5432, which is the production serve.

Test transactions need to go to the other server, which has to be the same
IP address (the address of the firewall), so it needs to be a different
port, but I'm not sure if the port translator in the firewall will do any
better at getting a response that than a port translator on the test server
does.

However, I also need the test database responding to requests on port 5432.

Are you sure psql was using TCP? If you're connecting to the localhost

> maybe it used UNIX domain sockets. It still needs a matching port
> number there too...

Yes, I was using psql -h 10.x.x.x -p 5431 dbname username
--
Mike Nolan