Re: BUG #4919: CREATE USER command slows down system performance

From: "Lauris Ulmanis" <lauris(dot)ulmanis(at)mykoob(dot)com>
To: "'Heikki Linnakangas'" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #4919: CREATE USER command slows down system performance
Date: 2009-07-15 10:31:46
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-performance

Hello again!

I did test on my local test server

I created up 500 000 users in function loop very quickly - within 48
seconds. I did again this script reaching up to 1 billion users - results
was the same - 48 seconds. It is very quickly.

But problem seems is with transaction preparation because if in database is
1 billion users and I want to create 1 new - it will take 4 seconds!

After that I generated up to 2 billion users in this server (generation
process took just 1.44 minutes of times - again quickly).

And did 1 user creation again - now it took 9 seconds of time!

What is a reason of this slowness? Is there a workaround or solution how to
avoid it?