Re: Update on the spinlock->pthread_mutex patch experimental: replace s_lock spinlock code with pthread_mutex on linux

From: Nils Goroll <slink(at)schokola(dot)de>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Update on the spinlock->pthread_mutex patch experimental: replace s_lock spinlock code with pthread_mutex on linux
Date: 2012-07-01 15:13:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Thank you, Robert.

as this patch was not targeted towards increasing tps, I am at happy to hear
that your benchmarks also suggest that performance is "comparable".

But my main question is: how about resource consumption? For the issue I am
working on, my current working hypothesis is that spinning on locks saturates
resources and brings down overall performance in a high-contention situation.

Do you have any getrusage figures or anything equivalent?

Thanks, Nils