Re: Posix Shared Mem patch

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Posix Shared Mem patch
Date: 2012-06-26 22:20:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> This can be trivially reproduced if one runs an old (SysV shared memory-based) postgresql alongside a potentially newer postgresql with a smaller SysV segment. This can occur with applications that bundle postgresql as part of the app.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen at all.  I'm saying it's not the 80%
case.

So let's fix the 80% case with something we feel confident in, and then
revisit the no-sysv interlock as a separate patch.  That way if we can't
fix the interlock issues, we still have a reduced-shmem version of Postgres.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.