Re: How to setup PostgreSQL using Windows Authentication?

From: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
To: Peter Cheung <Pcheung(at)sfcu(dot)org>
Cc: "'pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to setup PostgreSQL using Windows Authentication?
Date: 2012-06-12 08:11:26
Lists: pgsql-admin
On 06/12/2012 10:00 AM, Peter Cheung wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to PostgreSQL.   I installed PostgreSQL on a Windows Server
> 2008 R2 server.   I have created a database and an user in Windows
> Active Directory.  How can I configure that user to access that database?

By default, Windows users and PostgreSQL users are completely separate.

Use PgAdmin-III to create the user, or a "CREATE USER" command in psql. See

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/user-manag.html

It is also possible to use SSPI authentication with PostgreSQL, so
PostgreSQL authenticates users against Active Directory. I haven't used
it myself. The user must still be created in PostgreSQL, SSPI just takes
care of authenticating them using their Windows credentials. See:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/auth-methods.html

--
Craig Ringer