Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add ERROR msg for GLOBAL/LOCAL TEMP is not yet implemented

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>,<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add ERROR msg for GLOBAL/LOCAL TEMP is not yet implemented
Date: 2012-06-09 17:09:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 9 June 2012 16:46, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Simon Riggs writes:
>>> Add ERROR msg for GLOBAL/LOCAL TEMP is not yet implemented
>>
>> I don't believe there was actual consensus for this change,
>
> It was hardly a subject of marked disagreement.

Regarding GLOBAL, the three comments so far have been along the same
lines. But I assumed this was a 9.3 discussion.

>> and certainly not for throwing error on both cases.
>
> Why would we do it for GLOBAL but not LOCAL also?

Because the current support for temporary tables is relatively
similar to the standard's description of LOCAL TEMPORARY TABLES, but
nothing at all like the standard's descri0ption of GLOBAL TEMPORARY
TABLES. Now, I would love for us to also support DECLARE LOCAL
TEMPORARY TABLE, for a table for which the name would only be in
scope within a given code block, but that wouldn't require breaking
the existing syntax, as far as I can see.

In terms of roll-out, I think a warning for at least a release or two
before actually throwing an error would make sense, even for GLOBAL.
If we seriously think that global temporary tables might be a 9.3
item, maybe a notice or warning in 9.2 could be justified; but we are
on the second beta, so we need a pretty solid reason for any
behavioral change at this point.

-Kevin