How do I request the PostgreSQL login prompt?

From: "Fred Parkinson" <FredP(at)abag(dot)ca(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How do I request the PostgreSQL login prompt?
Date: 2012-06-06 19:36:20
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Recently our postgresql servers were upgraded to 9.
Also, our odbc drivers were upgraded to PostgreSQL ANSI 8.02.04.00

Previously we used odbc PostgreSQL 7.03.02.00

I am using MS Access 2003 as a front-end to postgresql and it has worked wonderfully well.
With the old drivers, what would happen is, when Access opened it requested data from various tables simply because they are the datasources for forms etc, and the odbc driver responded with the login form. Beautifully simple.

Now however, when Access requests the data as the form opens, the driver responds with "ODBC--connection to blah blah failed."

Hence my question: if requesting the data no longer results in the login form, how do I get the login form to open so a user can sign in?

Thanks for any help.

Fred Parkinson
Application Programmer
Association of Bay Area Governments