Re: could not access file "$libdir/plpgsql": No such file or directory

From: Victor Whiskey Yankee <victor(dot)whiskey(dot)yankee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: could not access file "$libdir/plpgsql": No such file or directory
Date: 2012-05-26 22:16:53
Lists: pgsql-novice

Thank you for the reply... after I removed the "--disable-shared" I do see the $libdir/plpgsql.so. But I do not see
any static libs, and "./configure" does not have an option to enable both static and shared..... so I guess it also means I cannot
build postgress libs nor link my apps statically?

On 05/26/2012 02:23 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Victor Whiskey Yankee<victor(dot)whiskey(dot)yankee(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> I don't know what this means nor how to fix it.
> It means you don't have a plpgsql.so file, and the reason is here:
>
>> My configuration line when building was:
>> ./configure --prefix=$MY_PREFIX --disable-nls --disable-shared --disable-rpath --enable-thread-safety --without-tcl --without-perl
> --disable-shared has been deprecated for awhile, and it's evidently flat
> out broken as of 9.1, since plpgsql.so is now effectively required.
> Do you really need that?

I don't know if I need whatever plpgsql is.... from what I read it is for supporting server-side sql, but I don't know if that means
I cannot use sql on the client side also?