Re: introduction

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, Matthias(at)marlinmobile(dot)com
Subject: Re: introduction
Date: 2012-05-25 16:01:19
Lists: pgsql-admin
On 05/25/2012 08:05 AM, matthias wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have some postgres experience, but not so much with clusters/slony
> Someone is suggesting a HA solution, and I do not have the time to
> wrap my head around it right know, not to mention support.

Are you using clustering for redundancy or for sharding/scaling? For
redundancy, the current built-in replication is the easiest to set up
with no add-ons needed. You may find it very beneficial to engage a
PostgreSQL-savvy consultant or firm who has encountered your use-pattern
and can guide you.

> Does anyone have a suggestion for a host that offers turnkey solutions
> for clustered postgres hosting?

You might see what Heroku offers: https://postgres.heroku.com/

I haven't used them as we run all our own servers but they have been
kind hosts for our users-group in SF.

> Our current provider answered my questions that they had heard of a
> client "who did this once". They had no idea what slony means. So I am
> not feeling so warm and fuzzy about them.
Good call.

Cheers,
Steve