Re: pgadmin, debian stable & postgresql 9.0

From: Pierre Chevalier <pierre(dot)chevalier1967(at)free(dot)fr>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgadmin, debian stable & postgresql 9.0
Date: 2012-05-16 17:22:49
Lists: pgadmin-support

Le 16/05/2012 15:29, Guillaume Lelarge claviota:
>> And then, a second message comes:
>> "Une erreur s'est produite :
>> "
>> "ERREUR: la colonne « datconfig » n'existe pas
>> "LIGNE 1 : ...b.dattablespace AS spcoid, spcname, datallowconn,
>> "datconfig,...
>> " ^
>
> datconfig is a column of a system catalog called pg_database. It
> disappears in 9.0. Actually, it's replaced by another catalog called
> pg_db_role_setting. Anyway, it means you can't use pgAdmin 1.10 with
> PostgreSQL 9.0, and more recent releases of PostgreSQL.
>
> You need a least pgAdmin 1.12 to connect to PostgreSQL 9.0.

All right.

>> I thought that a more up-to-date version would come in the debian
>> sources, so I waited for a while, doing a few apt-get updates. But
>> apparently, nothing is changing.
>
> If you use debian stable, it won't ever happen. You can try backports.
> It should work with your Debian stable.

Yes, I have backports repositories enabled. But for some reason, there
is no way to get the most recent version of pgadmin3.
I will try to force things a bit harder in my apt-get.

>> I know that I could get sources and compile pgadmin myself, but this is
>> for my working machine, which is quite crucial, and I try to avoid, as
>> much as possible, any weird installations, and I keep it as
>> debian-stable as possible.
>>
>> Any idea?
>
> If you cannot get it through backports, you have to compile it. If you
> want to keep things nice, the best way would be to create your own .deb
> files.
>
>> Maybe I could try to add a "datconfig" field to... some
>> table, but which one?
>
> You cannot add columns to system tables.

Yes, this makes sense! Pretty bad idea I had... :s

>> Or I could also add another repositery to my /etc/apt/sources.list ? I
>> tried to find one, unsuccessfully, so far.
>
> See
> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze-backports/pgadmin3

Ok, I'll check the repositories from there.

> You have the latest stable release of pgAdmin (but you miss three minor
> releases, which kinda sucks but you'll be able to connect to your 9.0
> cluster).

I'm so far behind at the moment, that it will be a pleasure to get a
newer pgadmin, anyways!

Thanks / Merci!

À+
Pierre
--
Pierre Chevalier Mesté Duran 32100 Condom
Tél : 09 75 27 45 62 - 06 37 80 33 64