Re: SSD selection

From: David Boreham <david_list(at)boreham(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SSD selection
Date: 2012-05-15 20:00:08
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 5/15/2012 12:16 PM, Rosser Schwarz wrote:
> As the other posters in this thread have said, your best bet is
> probably the Intel 710 series drives, though I'd still expect some
> 320-series drives in a RAID configuration to still be pretty
> stupendously fast.
One thing to mention is that the 710 are not faster than 320 series
(unless in your definition of fast you count potential GC pauses of course).
The 710's primary claim to fame is that it has endurance and GC
characteristics designed for server and database use (constant load,
heavy write load).

So 320 drives will be just as fast, if not faster, but they will wear
out much more quickly (possibly not a concern for the OP in his
deployment) and may suffer from unwelcome GC pauses.