retaining useful information on my screen

From: "Fred Parkinson" <FredP(at)abag(dot)ca(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: retaining useful information on my screen
Date: 2012-05-08 14:28:32
Lists: pgsql-admin
I am currently using postgresql version 9.1.3

In the past, when I ran psql and needed useful information provided by commands like \h or \d, the information was presented on the screen and I could proceed with further commands while viewing the information.

Now I need to hit <shift>-q to get out of the \h or \d request, and the information disappears from the screen as well.

2 questions:
1. what was the problem presented by leaving the information up on the screen, which is now solved by removing the information from the screen?

2. Is there way to tell psql NOT to clear the screen, so I can subsequently view it while I work?

Thanks.

Fred Parkinson
Application Programmer
Association of Bay Area Governments