Re: Cleanup patch: Change from Vector/Hashtable to ArrayList/HashMap

From: dmp <danap(at)ttc-cmc(dot)net>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cleanup patch: Change from Vector/Hashtable to ArrayList/HashMap
Date: 2012-05-06 18:03:50
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Mikko Tiihonen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here are two small cleanup patches.
>
> First one replaces all Vector references with List (usage) and ArrayList
> (creation).
> Second replaces all Hashtable references with Map (usage) and HashMap
> (creation).
>
> Reasons:
> * Theoretically faster since the ArrayList/HashMap are not synchronized
> * Using interfaces makes changing of List/Map implementations easier at
> later time
> * Vector/Hashtable were deprecated already in Java 1.2

My JDK 6 documentation gives no indication that either Vector or Hashtable
as being deprecated. Rather them being retrofitted into the Collectionss
Framework at 1.2. The main difference being that as you said they are
synchronized, which a developer may wish to have for that type of data
structure.

danap.