Re: smart shutdown at end of transaction (was: Default mode for shutdown)

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: smart shutdown at end of transaction (was: Default mode for shutdown)
Date: 2012-04-27 20:06:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Just thinking out loud here..

In the spirit of kicking around ideas...

For those writing service scripts where you want a time limit on how
long a stop can take, so that the service script doesn't prevent OS
shutdown within a bounded time, it would also be nice to add an
escalation time limit; so if there isn't a shutdown withing k
seconds at one level it goes to the next. If the building is on
fire and you need to power down all equipment before the fire
department cuts power and starts spraying water (a situation we had
at a courthouse a year or two ago), you really don't want the OS
waiting for anything for more than a limited number of seconds
before escalating to immediate. We do that in our sh scripts now,
by using kill and sleep instead of trusting pg_ctl, but it seems
like it would be better to have pg_ctl know how to do that.

maybe?:

--escalate-after=seconds

-Kevin