Re: psql: could not connect to server: No route to host

From: Kevin Kempter <cs_dba(at)consistentstate(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql: could not connect to server: No route to host
Date: 2012-04-26 15:36:56
Lists: pgsql-admin
On 04/25/2012 10:50 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Kevin Kempter<cs_dba(at)consistentstate(dot)com>  writes:
>> I can scp files between the servers
> Really?
>
>> $ psql -h 192.168.1.125
>> psql: could not connect to server: No route to host
> Because that is not a Postgres problem, that is a network connectivity
> problem.  I'd bet that there's something wrong with the VM
> configuration, such that the VM host isn't connecting 192.168.1.* in one
> VM to 192.168.1.* in the other.
>
> 			regards, tom lane

Scientific Linux turns on the firewall by default. It lets me scp via
username & passwd but wouldn't allow the port 5432 tcp connection till I
disabled it.  I like Scientific because it seems that they are a large
team and as a project seem to have better long term viability than other
RH based projects but a couple of their defaults drive me nuts. Like
this one, and the default install of yum-autoupdate