Re: Temporary tables under hot standby

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>,<noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>,<nicolas(dot)barbier(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Temporary tables under hot standby
Date: 2012-04-26 11:49:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Robert Haas  wrote:
> Noah Misch  wrote:
>> Based on the range of assessments spanning your "almost useless"
>> to Merlin's "killer feature", I gather that its utility is
>> exceptionally site-specific.
>
> Well said, sir.

+1

> I find it a rather elegant and well-thought-out kludge.

Global temporary tables as a feature are far more than a kludge; I
assume you're talking about that feature as a solution for the "no
temporary tables on a hot standby" problem?  Even there I would
consider GTT as more than a kludge.  They have been part of the SQL
standard since at least the SQL-93 version, and have some very clean,
clear uses.

> It is pretty obvious that we could get around all of these problems
> easily if we instead did logical replication.

> So, I can't help wonder if what we're really missing here is a
> high-performance, log-based logical replication solution with good
> core support.

The GSoC xReader project is intended to be a major step toward that,
by providing a way to translate the WAL stream to a series of
notifications of logical events to clients which register with
xReader.

-Kevin

Next:From: Robert HaasDate: 2012-04-26 12:14:04