TYPE of TEMP table does not seem to get set

From: Bill MacArthur <webmaster(at)dhs-club(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: TYPE of TEMP table does not seem to get set
Date: 2012-04-16 19:46:34
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Hello, I am hoping that I'm just missing some kind of syntax tweak, but after experimenting a bit, I cannot seem to get this working.

I have a view "configurations.tp_transactions" which is a blend of many tables using INNER and LEFT JOINs. I want to populate a temp table from which I can obtain the data and programmatically write queries to operate on that data using certain PLPGSQL functions in a uniform fashion. I have several functions which all expect a single argument of the type "configurations.tp_transactions".

I am running 9.0.5 on CentOS 5 64 bit

Here is the schema of "configurations.tp_transactions"

network=> \d configurations.tp_transactions
       View "configurations.tp_transactions"
     Column     |         Type         | Modifiers
---------------+----------------------+-----------
  id            | integer              |
  spid          | integer              |
  sponsor_mtype | character varying(5) |
  sponsor_spid  | integer              |
  membertype    | character varying    |
  trans_type    | smallint             |
  trans_id      | integer              |
  trans_date    | date                 |
  discount_amt  | numeric(6,2)         |
  cv_mult       | real                 |
  reb_mult      | real                 |
  comm_mult     | real                 |
  rebate        | numeric              |
  reb_com       | numeric(5,4)         |
  pp            | numeric(6,5)         |
  cap           | integer              |
  receivable    | numeric(8,2)         |
  ma_id         | integer              |
  ma_spid       | integer              |
  ma_mtype      | character varying(5) |
  amount        | numeric              |
  pp_value      | numeric              |

network=> SELECT * INTO TEMP TABLE myt
FROM configurations.tp_transactions
WHERE membertype <> 'x'
AND configurations.tp_transactions.trans_id IN (920787);
SELECT 1

network=> \d myt
               Table "pg_temp_47.myt"
     Column     |         Type         | Modifiers
---------------+----------------------+-----------
  id            | integer              |
  spid          | integer              |
  sponsor_mtype | character varying(5) |
  sponsor_spid  | integer              |
  membertype    | character varying    |
  trans_type    | smallint             |
  trans_id      | integer              |
  trans_date    | date                 |
  discount_amt  | numeric(6,2)         |
  cv_mult       | real                 |
  reb_mult      | real                 |
  comm_mult     | real                 |
  rebate        | numeric              |
  reb_com       | numeric(5,4)         |
  pp            | numeric(6,5)         |
  cap           | integer              |
  receivable    | numeric(8,2)         |
  ma_id         | integer              |
  ma_spid       | integer              |
  ma_mtype      | character varying(5) |
  amount        | numeric              |
  pp_value      | numeric              |

network=> \df configurations.myself
                                   List of functions
      Schema     |  Name  | Result data type |      Argument data types       |  Type
----------------+--------+------------------+--------------------------------+--------
  configurations | myself | integer          | configurations.tp_transactions | normal
(1 row)

network=> select configurations.myself(myt.*) from myt;
ERROR:  function configurations.myself(myt) does not exist
LINE 1: select configurations.myself(myt.*) from myt;
                ^
HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need to add explicit type casts.

network=> select configurations.myself(myt.*) from configurations.tp_transactions myt where trans_id=920787;
  myself
--------
      12
(1 row)

I also tried creating the temp table first using this syntax and then inserting into it, but function still did not recognize the type.
network=> CREATE TEMP TABLE myt OF configurations.tp_transactions;
CREATE TABLE
network=> \d myt
               Table "pg_temp_11.myt"
     Column     |         Type         | Modifiers
---------------+----------------------+-----------
  id            | integer              |
  spid          | integer              |
  sponsor_mtype | character varying(5) |
  sponsor_spid  | integer              |
  membertype    | character varying    |
  trans_type    | smallint             |
  trans_id      | integer              |
  trans_date    | date                 |
  discount_amt  | numeric(6,2)         |
  cv_mult       | real                 |
  reb_mult      | real                 |
  comm_mult     | real                 |
  rebate        | numeric              |
  reb_com       | numeric(5,4)         |
  pp            | numeric(6,5)         |
  cap           | integer              |
  receivable    | numeric(8,2)         |
  ma_id         | integer              |
  ma_spid       | integer              |
  ma_mtype      | character varying(5) |
  amount        | numeric              |
  pp_value      | numeric              |
Typed table of type: configurations.tp_transactions

network=> insert into myt select * from configurations.tp_transactions where trans_id=920787;
INSERT 0 1

network=> select configurations.myself(myt.*) from myt;
ERROR:  function configurations.myself(myt) does not exist
LINE 1: select configurations.myself(myt.*) from myt;
                ^
HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need to add explicit type casts.

network=> select configurations.myself(myt.*) from configurations.tp_transactions myt where trans_id=920787;
  myself
--------
      12
(1 row)