pldebugger server-side plugin

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pldebugger server-side plugin
Date: 2012-04-16 15:58:44
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Hi,

The PL/pgSQL debugger included in pgadmin needs a bunch of server-side
support functions to be installed in the server. The code for the
server-side functions is currently located in a pgfoundry CVS
repository, in the edb-debugger project.

It's time to give that code facelift. I have converted the CVS
repository to git using git-cvsimport, now available at
git://git.postgresql.org/git/pldebugger.git. After that, I did a lot of
cleanup and refactoring. The functionality should be unchanged, and it
should still work against older server versions.

The CVS repository also contained a plugin_profiler thingie, that was
not related to plugin_debugger. I removed that. It might be a useful
project, but I don't think anyone has really looked at it for years, and
it really ought to be a separate project and repository, since it
doesn't have anything to do with the debugger plugin. If someone wants
to resurrect that code, it can be dug from the history of the git
repository.

There's still plenty of cleanup that could be done to the plugin, but
this is a good start.

The plugin doesn't have a mailing list of its own, and AFAIK pgadmin is
the only consumer of that API, so let's keep pldebugger related
discussions on this mailing list.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas

pgadmin-hackers by date

Next:From: Dave PageDate: 2012-04-16 16:01:57