Re: Visual FoxPro (VFP) 9 Migration Strategy to Postgresql on Linux

From: Jean MAURICE <mauricejea(at)numericable(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Visual FoxPro (VFP) 9 Migration Strategy to Postgresql on Linux
Date: 2012-04-14 16:27:53
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi Kevin,

here in France some people have done an 'upgrade' from VFP to Postgres. As it
seems to work well some others are taking the same way. I am one of these. I,
too, is an expert in VFP and SQL; I then thought that going to postgres should
have been a simple way but it is not. One of the problem I encountered is : with
VFP we are free to do what we want modifying table structures, modify data with
BROWSE (!), .... it is a lot more complicated with Postgres. The other one is
that I used a large amount of parameterized views, I haven't found the manner to
convert them to postgres functions but I am at the beginning of the road.

Two things I'have done will, I think, be efficient :
I have no rule in my VFP database (no constraint, no referential integrity), all
is done in 'access class' : for each table I have an access class to read,
update, reindex, pack, verify data in this table. All 'safety work' is done in
these classes.
I have two databases in my main app (it's a school management system): one is
local and contains parameters; I mean datas not being often changed (holidays
dates, prices, taxes, ...) and it will stay within VFP (no problem with safety,
size) on each client (on each local PC). So the 'main' database on the file
server is a lot simpler and I'll only upgrade the dbc.

I mean : I try to minimize the upgrade work.

English is not my language. I hope you understand what I wrote !! If you speak
french, you can have help here : www.atoutfox.org  I have also had a lot of help

Best regards

--
Jean MAURICE
Grenoble - France - Europe

PS you build turbines ? (The Leaders in Turbine Engine Module and Component
Repair!). Here where I live (Grenoble in France), we have a great turbines
builder (Alstom) !