Re: Very basic question from a beginner

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Very basic question from a beginner
Date: 2012-04-08 18:57:27
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Am 08.04.2012 16:03, schrieb Jean MAURICE:

> I am very new to PostGreSql and ODBC but an 'expert' in Visual Foxpro.
> I wanted to try VFP as a client of PostGres. My laptop is under W7-64.
> I 'installed' the ODBC driver via Stack Builder. All things seemed to
> work well but nothing appears in th ODBC Sources Manager (I apologize
> I must guess the english names from the french ones ...).
>
> What have I missed ?

As Adrian explained you would see defined Datasources (DSN) in the
Source Manager.
In such a DSN is all the information needed to reach a database.
So you create a DSN "my data" and describe there what driver to use,
host-address, db-name, user, password ...

Later in VFP you should be able to select one of the defined DSNs and
VFP knows all neccesary details.

BTW there are 3 types of DSN.
File based ... there is a textfile somewhere that holds the informations.
System DSN ... the admin defines a DSN that all users of the system can
access.
User DSN ... the user defines a DSN that only he himself can access.

Probaply you might be interested to figure out how you can access the
db-host without a pre defined DSN.
You can stuff all the details into a connection string and use this
instead of a DSN.
Basically that should be the same as what the DSN-Manager is doing for you.
The advantage is that you don't need access to the DSN-Manager on the
client system like when you give someone else an application. That way
he doesn't have to create a DSN or you don't need some fancy installer
that does it for him.