Re: BUG #6522: PostgreSQL does not start

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Tatiana Ortiz" <tatypr18(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #6522: PostgreSQL does not start
Date: 2012-04-02 18:13:14
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

[Please keep the list copied. I won't respond to any more emails
directly to me without a copy to the list.]

Tatiana Ortiz <tatypr18(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov wrote:

>>> Test if you have network connectivity from your client to the
>>> server host using ping or equivalent tools.
>>
>> Do you get a response when you ping 127.0.0.1?
>
> I have not tried that.

Well, nobody here can, so how will we know if that is working?

>>> Is your network / VPN/SSH tunnel / firewall configured
>>> correctly?
>>
>> What did you do to check that?
>
> It*s configured correctly; I have verified it in the control
> panel.

What, exactly, did you verify was true about the configuration?

>>> If you double-checked your configuration but still get this
>>> error message, it`s still unlikely that you encounter a fatal
>>> PostgreSQL misbehavior. You probably have some low level network
>>> connectivity problems (e.g. firewall configuration). Please
>>> check this thoroughly before reporting a bug to the PostgreSQL
>>> community.
>>
>> What did you do to check this?
>
> The Firewall configuration is correct.

Something isn't. If you have a firewall running, I sure wouldn't
rule it out without pretty good evidence pointing to something else.
Do you have an anti-virus product installed? (Note, I didn't ask
whether it was enabled -- even when supposedly disabled, many AV
products can cause problems like this.)

>> Your previous email mentioned deleting the postmaster.pid file.
>> Do you have any more detail on what you did?
>
> When I deleted the postmaster.pid, and then went to the Services
> to give a restart to the Postgre service, the file reappeared.

That's an interesting data point, although not enough to pin it down
without other facts not in evidence.

>>> If you know of something I could do to gain access to the
>>> database let me know.
>>
>> Start Task Manager and look in the Processes tab. Are there any
>> Postgres processes active?
>
> [suggestion apparently ignored]

If you won't provide information, nobody can help you.

>> From a command line, run:
>>
>> netstat -p TCP -a
>>
>> and see if anything is listening on port 5432.
>
> I tried this, and it gave me this result:
>
> [image: nothing listening on port 5432]

So, either the PostgreSQL service isn't running, or it is not
offering IP services on the default port.

Is anything appearing in any of the Windows event logs around the
time you attempt to start the service? Can you find a PostgreSQL
log file anywhere? Without knowing what installer was used, it
would be hard to suggest where to look, but sometimes the log files
are in a subdirectory named pg_log, and sometimes there is a file
named "logfile" in the PostgreSQL data directory.

Assistance on this list is provided by volunteers. If you don't
care enough about what you've got wrong in your environment to
perform the requested diagnostic steps, those contributing their
time are likely to lose interest and stop responding. I have 200
databases running just fine on 100 servers scattered across the
state. What are you doing that isn't working? It's not my
responsibility to sort that out, but I'm willing to help if you're
willing to take responsibility for your end.

-Kevin