Re: Switching to Homebrew as recommended Mac install?

From: Jay Levitt <jay(dot)levitt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Switching to Homebrew as recommended Mac install?
Date: 2012-04-02 04:50:31
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
>While you might not like the EDB installer, at least those
> folks are active in the lists and accountable for whatever problems
> their code has. Who in heck is responsible for the "homebrew"
> packaging, and do they answer questions in the PG lists?

Just for general knowledge... Who's responsible is whoever wants to be;
homebrew is open source, and with a github-based workflow, it's trivial for
them to accept pull requests. On the 1967 formulas (packages) in the repo,
there have been 1759 contributors. I was volunteering to be the maintainer
and liaison if we did this; I'm pretty good at email and IRC.

It's actually pretty clever and elegant - homebrew itself uses git and
github for formula updates and distribution, and is written in ruby1.8 which
ships with all Macs. /usr/local is a git repo, "brew update" is mostly "git
pull", and "brew search" checks for new pull requests if it doesn't find a
matching formula. The whole thing's all of 1500 lines of code, and you saw
what formulas look like.

Jay