Re: Finer Extension dependencies

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>,<robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,<umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Finer Extension dependencies
Date: 2012-03-29 12:01:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:

> I think that technically this patch can be polished well enough to
> commit in the time we have available, but the question of whether
> it's the right design is harder, and I don't want that to be my
> call alone.

I gather from previous posts that the intent isn't to allow different
packages from different authors to provide a common and compatible
feature; but what happens in the current design if someone
accidentally or maliciously produces an extension which provides the
same feature name as another extension?

Would we need some registry?

-Kevin