Re: BUG #6522: PostgreSQL does not start

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Tatiana Ortiz" <tatypr18(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #6522: PostgreSQL does not start
Date: 2012-03-28 22:31:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

[Please keep the list copied. Also, please quote selected portions
of a post to which you are replying, and put your reply below, like
you see here.]

Tatiana Ortiz <tatypr18(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I have the program PostgreSQL with PostGIS extension.

Obtained from where? Installed how?

> In postgre I have a database installed.

So you were able to connect to PostgreSQL to create the database?
What has changed since then?

> Could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)

"Connection refused" generally means that the attempt establish the
TCP connection found the specified host, but the port on which
you're trying to connect is not available to be opened. That
usually means the service which offers that port is not running, or
that a firewall is blocking access.

> Is the server running on host *127.0.0.1* and accepting TCP/IP
> connections on port 5432?
>
> If you encounter this message, please check if the server you`re
> trying to contact is actually running PostgreSQL on the given
> port.

What did you do to check this?

> Test if you have network connectivity from your client to the
> server host using ping or equivalent tools.

Do you get a response when you ping 127.0.0.1?

> Is your network / VPN/SSH tunnel / firewall configured
> correctly?

What did you do to check that?

> If you double-checked your configuration but still get this error
> message, it`s still unlikely that you encounter a fatal PostgreSQL
> misbehavior. You probably have some low level network connectivity
> problems (e.g. firewall configuration). Please check this
> thoroughly before reporting a bug to the PostgreSQL community.

What did you do to check this?

> Doing a search online to solve the problem and be able to use my
> database, I made the different processes to explain in the
> previous email to make the database ENABLE.

Your previous email mentioned deleting the postmaster.pid file. Do
you have any more detail on what you did?

> If you know of something I could do to gain access to the database
> let me know.

Start Task Manager and look in the Processes tab. Are there any
postgres process active? From a command line, run:

netstat -p TCP -a

and see if anything is listening on port 5432.

-Kevin