Re: postgresql 9.1 replicaiton query ( GNU/Linux replicate to Windows)

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Guocong Nie" <guocong(dot)nie(at)capgemini(dot)com>
Cc: "Christopher Browne" <cbbrowne(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql 9.1 replicaiton query ( GNU/Linux replicate to Windows)
Date: 2012-03-12 13:47:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Nie, Guocong <guocong(dot)nie(at)capgemini(dot)com> wrote:

>> Could you please let me know how can I replicate database from
>> Linux to Windows ?
>
> The built-in replication requires that you are using the same
> version of PostgreSQL on the same OS platform.  That doesn't seem
> to be documented as clearly as one might have hoped it would be.

Yeah, on a quick search I didn't find anything under replication
itself.  Unless I'm missing something, one would need to know that
it was more-or-less the same as PITR backup, and find this to find a
clue:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/warm-standby.html#STANDBY-PLANNING

It does seem like there should be more, although I'm not sure
exactly what or where.

> If you require replication across platforms, you will need to look
> into one of the other replication systems such as Slony, Londiste,
> or Bucardo.

There is a Wiki page listing and comparing available products:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Replication,_Clustering,_and_Connection_Pooling

-Kevin