Re: How To Store Large Text Strings

From: Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: Bartosz Dmytrak <bdmytrak(at)eranet(dot)pl>
Cc: Frank Bax <fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca>, PostgreSQL List - Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How To Store Large Text Strings
Date: 2012-03-09 08:26:09
Lists: pgsql-novice
On 09/03/12 21:02, Bartosz Dmytrak wrote:
> Hi,
> It is not really unlimited (max 1GB):
>
> *Limit* 	*Value*
> Maximum Database Size 	Unlimited
> Maximum Table Size 	32 TB
> Maximum Row Size 	1.6 TB
> _*Maximum Field Size*_ 	_*1 GB*_
> Maximum Rows per Table 	Unlimited
> Maximum Columns per Table 	250 - 1600 depending on column types
> Maximum Indexes per Table 	Unlimited
>

> http://www.postgresql.org/about/
>
> Regards,
> Bartek
>

> 2012/3/9 Frank Bax <fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca <mailto:fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca>>
>
>     On 03/08/12 17:24, Jude Lucien wrote:
>
>         What is the best way to store possible
>         multiple-paragraph-sized strings of text?
>
>         I had thought of just storing the hash but there is no
>         guarentee that
>         the hash will pop back into the same text.
>

>     text (variable unlimited length)
>
>     http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/datatype-character.html
>

>     --

I don't believe that the maximum number of indexes is unlimited.   Just
try creating an index for every permutation of 160 columns, which is
about 4.71E284 different indexes.  It is simply not possible to house a
computer big enough on Earth, and probably the known Universe is too
small - not to mention minor details, like that even 64 bit integers
would be far too small...  :-)

For practical purposes, I accept the statement - gracious aren't I???

You would have an incredibly slow database for updates and insertions
way before you hit any practical limits on the number of indexes.

One gigabyte is more than enough to house the text of the biggest novel
I have ever read - about 940 pages for 'Lorna Doone' (it was almost 50
years since I read it, so I might have misspelt the title).

Cheers,
Gavin