Re: what Linux to run

From: Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: r d <rd0002(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: what Linux to run
Date: 2012-03-06 10:45:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Hmm...

I also use 64 bit Fedora 16, on an AMD quad core at home, and on a dual
Xeon quad cores at work.

For a desktop environment, I would recommend xfce for serious work over
GNOME 3. However, GNOME 3 is fine if you prefer fashion over
functionality. I have 25 virtual desktops, and make full use of not only
multiple tabs on Firefox, but also on the nautilus directory and GNOME
terminal windows -- I also have useful applets on panels that auto hide,
etc., GNOME 2 could support that, but not GNOME 3!

What are the problems of Java 7 on FC16? I am curious, as I am building
a system using Java 7 on FC16 using JBoss 7.1 backed by PostgreSQL 9.1.

If anyone is interested, I have a bash script that installs JBoss 7.1
and converts it to use PostgreSQL.

Cheers,
Gavin