Re: SSD and RAID

From: Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrea Suisani <sickpig(at)opinioni(dot)net>
Cc: Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SSD and RAID
Date: 2012-03-06 09:34:48
Lists: pgsql-performance
On 2012-03-06 09:34, Andrea Suisani wrote:
> On 03/06/2012 09:17 AM, Yeb Havinga wrote:
>>
>> PS: we applied the same philosophy (different brands) also to
>> motherboards, io controllers and memory, but after testing, we liked
>> one IO controllers software so much more than the other so we chose
>> to have only one. Also stream memory performance of one motherboard
>> showed a significant performance
>> regression in the higher thread counts that we decided to go for the
>> other brand for all servers.
>>

> care to share motherboard winning model?
>
> thanks
> Andrea

On http://i.imgur.com/vfmvu.png is a graph of three systems, made with
the multi stream scaling (average of 10 tests if I remember correctly) test.

The red and blue are 2 X 12 core opteron 6168 systems with 64 GB DDR3
1333MHz in 8GB dimms

Red is a Tyan S8230
Blue is a Supermicro H8DGI-G

We tried a lot of things to rule out motherboards, such as swap memory
of both systems, ensure BIOS settings are similar (e.g. ECC mode),
update to latest BIOS where possible, but none of those settings
improved the memory performance drop. Both systems were installed with
kickstarted Centos 6.2, so also no kernel setting differences there..

regards,
Yeb

--
Yeb Havinga