Hot standby having high requested checkpoints?

From: Brian Fehrle <brianf(at)consistentstate(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Hot standby having high requested checkpoints?
Date: 2012-02-28 22:53:20
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi all,

I have two PostgreSQL 9.0.5 clusters, one is a master and the other is a
hot standby via streaming replication. I'm monitoring some stats on each
and I'm noticing something very odd. On the master, I get between 2 and
4 requested checkpoints per hour, but on the hot standby I'm seeing
between 200 and 300 requested checkpoints per hour.

Both boxes are the same specs, and have the same following config
parameters:
              name             | setting
------------------------------+---------
  bgwriter_delay               | 200
  bgwriter_lru_maxpages        | 350
  bgwriter_lru_multiplier      | 2
  checkpoint_completion_target | 0.5
  checkpoint_segments          | 256
  checkpoint_timeout           | 1800

Is there any reason why I would be seeing this type of behavior on the
hot standby? Is it the standard type of behavior on a hot standby that
I'm only now noticing?

Thanks in advance,
- Brian F

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Fujii MasaoDate: 2012-02-29 04:22:33
Subject: Re: Monitor without superuser?