Re: application_name

From: Mick <mickg01(at)verizon(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: application_name
Date: 2012-02-28 10:36:03
Lists: pgsql-novice
On 02/28/2012 02:38 AM, mephysto wrote:
> Hello to everyone,
> I would have a stange question: many times I found the variable
> application_name in various context, but I never understood the meaning.
>
> What is the standard use of this variable? How can I use it?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Meph
>
> --

 From postgresql.org:

application_name (string)

    The application_name can be any string of less than NAMEDATALEN
    characters (64 characters in a standard build). It is typically set
    by an application upon connection to the server. The name will be
    displayed in the pg_stat_activity view and included in CSV log
    entries. It can also be included in regular log entries via the
    log_line_prefix
    <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/runtime-config-logging.html#GUC-LOG-LINE-PREFIX>
    parameter. Only printable ASCII characters may be used in the
    application_name value. Other characters will be replaced with
    question marks (?).

Google can be your friend!

--

*/Mick/*