determining a type oid from the name

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: determining a type oid from the name
Date: 2012-02-22 18:00:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Say I'm writing an extension X, and I want to process data values from
another extension that creates type Y (e.g. an hstore), what's the best
way to determine the Oid of type Y in my module X code? SPI code that
runs "select 'something'::Y" and then examines the oid in SPI_tuptable?
Or do we have a utility function I have missed that, given a type name
and the current search path will give me back the type Oid?

cheers

andrew

Next:From: Thom BrownDate: 2012-02-22 18:28:33