Re: JSON output functions.

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)toroid(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JSON output functions.
Date: 2012-02-02 23:46:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 02/02/2012 12:20 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> 2012/2/2 Andrew Dunstan<andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>:

>>> I agree, there doesn't seem to be a pressing need to do it now.
>>>

>> OK, here's my final version of the patch for constructor functions. If
>> there's no further comment I'll go with this.
> These function are super, Thank you
>
> Do you plan to fix a issue with row attribute names in 9.2?

Yeah. Tom did some initial work which he published here:
<http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/28413.1321500388%40sss.pgh.pa.us>,
noting:

    It's not really ideal with respect to
    the ValuesScan case, because what you get seems to always be the
    hard-wired "columnN" names for VALUES columns, even if you try to
    override that with an alias
    Curiously, it works just fine if the VALUES can be folded

and later he said:

    Upon further review, this patch would need some more work even for the
    RowExpr case, because there are several places that build RowExprs
    without bothering to build a valid colnames list.  It's clearly soluble
    if anyone cares to put in the work, but I'm not personally excited
    enough to pursue it ..

I'm going to look at that issue first, since the unfolded VALUES clause seems like something of an obscure corner case. Feel free to chime in if you can.

cheers

andrew