Re: Patch pg_is_in_backup()

From: Gilles Darold <gilles(dot)darold(at)dalibo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch pg_is_in_backup()
Date: 2012-02-02 17:47:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Le 02/02/2012 12:23, Marti Raudsepp a écrit :
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 20:33, Gilles Darold <gilles(dot)darold(at)dalibo(dot)com> wrote:
>> After some time searching for a Pg system administration function like
>> pg_is_in_recovery(), let's say pg_is_in_backup(), I couldn't find one.
>> The minor patch attached here adds this administrative function that can
>> be used with others backup control functions. This is a very little
>> patch outside documentation because the function is only a wrapper to
>> the internal BackupInProgress() function, just like pg_is_in_recovery()
>> is calling RecoveryInProgress().
> I think it would be more useful to have a function that returns a
> timestamp when the backup started. That way, it's possible to write a
> generic monitoring script that alerts the sysadmin only when a backup
> has been running for too long, but is silent for well-behaved backups.

For now the internal function BackupInProgress() only return a boolean.
I like the idea that pg_is_in_backup() just works as pg_is_in_recovery()
do. I mean it doesn't return the timestamp of the recovery starting time
but only true or false.

Maybe we can have an other function that will return all information
available in the backup_label file ?

Regards,

--
Gilles Darold