Re: PG migration policy

From: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG migration policy
Date: 2012-01-29 19:01:16
Lists: pgsql-general

On 29.1.2012 07:30, Allan Kamau wrote:
> Hi,
> This is definitely off topic, I apologize.
> We are planning to move our PostgreSQL installation from a shared
> server to a dedicated server. I have been given the responsibility of
> writing a migration policy document for this operation. This would be
> my first such document to put together,
> I am looking for pointers, samples and so on on which to build this
> document for our scenario.

Hi,

what exactly do you expect such document to cover? Should it discuss
ways to migrate the database, or have you already decided how to perform
the migration and it should describe each step?

What do you mean by shared and dedicated server? Does that mean the
server is shared by multiple applications, one of them being PostgreSQL
cluster and you want to move the whole cluster to a dedicated database
server? Or does that mean that you want to move just one of the
databases (not the whole cluster)?

Tomas

PS: I don't think this to be off topic. General list is exactly the
right place where this should be discussed.