Re: BUG #6412: psql & fe-connect truncate passwords

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
To: Andy Grimm <agrimm(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #6412: psql & fe-connect truncate passwords
Date: 2012-01-29 00:47:43
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 28-01-2012 18:55, Andy Grimm wrote:
> It's not uniform between the client and the server, though.

The server doesn't impose a hard limit for password length and AFAICS it
should not because we aim for backward compatibility.

> It sounds like you are suggesting
> that rather than increase the limit in the simple_prompt calls, you'd
> prefer to decrease the limit read from pwfile? That doesn't
> particularly help me.

No, I am not. So there are three concerns here: (i) increase the limit for
simple_prompt() and (ii) raise an error when we reach that limit and (iii) fix
the PasswordFromFile(). Looking at your patch, it seems to fix only (i).

> require understanding of what the real password length limit in a
> database is.

There is no such limit; it is stored in a text datatype.

--
Euler Taveira de Oliveira - Timbira http://www.timbira.com.br/